You notice there’s a planner open in the background of an Instagram shot you just liked. The curious, stalker side in you screenshots the image, opens Photos, and zooms in as close as you can to see what she’s really doing today.
Don’t feel bad, we all like peeks into the inner-workings of other people’s lives. What if she had the never-before-seen secret to managing kids, work, family, obligations, and her side hustle with ease?
(PS- she doesn’t and is a hot mess just like the rest of us.)
To reduce my hot messiness, I thought I’d share some personal habits that free up my time and brain space for other brilliance to come flooding in. Still waiting….
- Uniforms, aka capsule wardrobes: no thoughts, wasted time, changing clothes, or ironing in the morning
- Spending a little more money on & automate the little things: being brand-loyal on small things I love and take the decision-making process out completely. You’re welcome blue Cottonelle and Viva!
- Picking up the house every night before bed: coming home to a clean house every day is bliss and never being embarrassed if someone stops by
- Meal prep: cooking for 2 hours on Sunday yields breakfast, lunch, and dinner for the week
- Editorial calendars: targeting our avatar and never wondering what will be posted
- Tie quarterly or yearly chores to seasonal dates:
- Change to warmer comforter in fall = new pillows
- Seasonal clothes swap = donations of clothes not worn in the previous season
- Taxes = reviewing my credit report for accuracy
- Every day has a specific chore: bathrooms, dusting, laundry, floors, groceries, errands, blog writing, social media, etc. all have a designated day and time
- Early morning groceries: 7-8am grocery runs rock! Way less people, front parking, and more selection
Structure and routine on the basics lets my brain know that the have-to’s are done and it’s time (and allowed) to be creative.
Not groundbreaking, secret sauce kinda habits, but it’s working for me right now. Always feel free to Insta-peek too!