Ever wonder what’s really going on behind the scenes of your favorite writers and bloggers? Like the kind of stuff unfit for Instagram? Hey, me too!
In case you’re interested here, I figured I’d share a snapshot of life right now. I’ll do these every once in a while, maybe once a month-ish.
Here’s what is going on behind the laptop today:
7 birthdays in the next 45 days + Father’s Day. Oiy. Late May to early July is starting to look my Dec-Jan where we have 9 birthdays and Christmas.
I think I’m finally adjusted to the kid being married, even though hearing her new last name is still weird. The wedding was in January and reality set in in March when she still wasn’t home. I miss her sleeping and waking up here, but she’s handled me well and made a lot of effort to love on her mom during the transition.
I’m sure every mom feels this way, but I have the BEST daughter in the universe.
Speaking of my kiddo, she talked me into running the Savage Race in October. Whaaaa?
The conversation pretty much went like,
Her- “Hey, we should do this!”
Me- “I love obstacles. It looks like fun.”
2 days later….
Her- “Our team name is X, I’m sending you the link to sign up.”
Me- “Cool!” (thinking “Oh shit, I can’t run around the block. How the heck am I not going to die?” Signs up anyway.)
It’s 5-7 miles with 25 obstacles and looks like so much freakin fun.
However, I’m in the worst shape of my life. Way overweight, way under-muscled, and 20 years past the last time I did something similar.
Pfft, I got this. I have 5 months to prepare and failure is not an option. Which leads me to….
In preparation for the race and because I need to, I’m one week into a new diet and exercise routine.
I gained a ton of weight around 2010 and am now about 35 lbs overweight. Chalk that up to stress, being stuck in an office for the first time in my life, stopping our volleyball and softball teams, and getting older.
You’ll probably laugh when I say this since it’s only been a week, but it’s been pretty easy so far. I’ve P90X3’d it six days in a row and have lost 6.5 lbs. I know that kind of loss will slow down, but I’ll take it for now!
Imagine that, eating well and exercising is good for your body. Who knew? (answers “everyone”)
The only hard part was barely being able to sit to pee because my hamstrings and butt muscles hurt so freakin bad for a couple of days, but my back feels a ton better!
I’m sucking wind on social media.
First, I’m what’s known as a lurker and a learner. I’m on social media (Twitter & Instagram) and like it, I just don’t make the time to comment and post. You know, be social. 😉
Secondly, in comparison to most women I know, I don’t talk much in real life. So, being chatty and taking photos/selfies is not natural for me.
That said, I need to stop with the excuses and change my way of thinking. Period. Since I like connecting with certain groups of people, social will help me target those people (like you!) much easier. Plus, it’s not about me. Getting over myself now:)
A week after the site went live, I decided, on a whim, to micro-blog everyday and I love it! The hashtag is #jDaily, but can also be found under the regular Blog heading. It’s usually 100-300 words, short and sweet.
I also publish a longer post on Tuesdays.
I’m still liking the idea of starting a podcast. I want to marinate on it for awhile because once it starts, I want to see it through to at least 100 episodes before reevaluating. In podspeak, that’s two years, so a big commitment for sure.
Focus for next week- a cool freebie for Insiders and post twice a day on each social channel.
- My car is in need of a mechanics attention, but as long as it drives, I’ll ignore that sound.
- 10 adult lunchables for a meal are only 340 calories (pita cracker, mustard, square of cheese and salami). Yummm
- Knowing what design style you like for Insta posts is easy, actually designing them… not so much.
- I’ve gotten into two semi-heated discussions about transforming the government workforce, both with lifetime, union, government employees. Seems they don’t like “pay for performance” as much as I do.
- “Before” pictures should never be posted to the cloud. Tuck them into a hard drive folder titled, “cauliflower recipes” and make a fake thumbnail.
- ABC cancelling “Last Man Standing” is pure crap.
- Going to bed at 7:35pm on a Wednesday night will make you happier, pleasurable to be around, focused, and give you super woman-like abilities the next day.
- I’m getting divorced this week after 23 years of marriage.
- I cannot do one pull-up. In fact, my arms barely move. Mine are called “hang downs”.
- Next weekend is my office/craft room/home decor storage reorganization and I can’t wait!
Have a fantastic week, loves!